To achieve and sustain excellence at GIMPA and become a source of knowledge in the fields of leadership, business administration, management and institutional research.
Academic Planning and Quality Assurance (DAPQA) Directorate
Prof. Charles Teye Amoatey
Director, GIMPA Training & Consulting
Welcome to the Directorate of Academic Planning and Quality Assurance (DAPQA) of the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA) official website. The design and oversight of academic programs at the Institute are coordinated by the Directorate. Additionally,
it is the directorate that is in charge of leading the Institute’s quality assurance program, which encompasses all divisions, departments, schools, and faculties.
The Directorate makes use of a number of measures to uphold high standards of performance and provide thorough quality control in all actions that directly or indirectly affect the provision of academic services. The Directorate works to make sure that the Institute’s activities follow the principles of overall quality management.
The Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA) vision and purpose are anticipated to be considerably advanced by the Directorate’s operations.
The Directorate shall monitor and evaluate all Quality Assurance (QA) operations at GIMPA through the performance of the following services:
- Ensure that performance standards set for all aspects of the Institute’s activities are appropriate and relevant
- Develop and periodically update operational manuals for internal QA operations, as well as tools for self-evaluations
- Monitor QA activities in all the IUs against set standards and periodically update the Academic Board on the overall quality status of the Institute
- Provide advice and guidance to IUs on the execution of QA activities
- Coordinate self-evaluation of staff members within the Institute
- Collate and analyze all QA reports and present issues arising from them for the attention of Management and other relevant bodies
- Facilitate external evaluation of GIMPA and its academic programmes and disseminate outcomes to Management
- Collaborate with the Ghana Tertiary Commission (GTEC), the National Council for Tertiary Education (NCTE), and the Association of African Universities (AAU) for the purposes of accreditation of the Institute and its programmes as well as other QA issues including those its affiliates,
- Monitor the implementation of internal and external evaluation recommendations
- Advise Management on matters relating to teaching, learning, research, consultancy and support services
- Update Management, staff, and all relevant stakeholders on regional and global trends in QA issues
- Cooperate with QA bodies in sister universities and colleges as well as other relevant national, regional and global agencies for the purposes of learning best practices
- Hold quarterly meetings with QA representatives at the Schools, Departments and Centers.
There are two (2) divisions within the Directorate: Academic Planning & Accreditation, and Quality Assurance.
Academic Planning & Accreditation Unit
Academic Planning and Accreditation is in charge of coordinating the planning and monitoring of academic programs.
- Work to achieve the academic planning and accreditation goals of the institute
- Oversee the assurance of academic and operational quality and standards;
- Ensure that the Institute meets the standards expected of higher learning institutions by the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC);
- Liaise with Schools/Faculties and oversee the development, publication and evaluation of an Academic Development Handbook that provides a definitive guide to curriculum design, delivery, and review.
- Review and ensure that programmes developed for accreditation meet the Institute’s standards as set out in the Academic Development Handbook and GTEC’s requirements
- Undertake quality assurance of Schools’ programme accreditation processes periodically.
- Assess School’s readiness for accreditation visits
- Participate in GTEC assessment visits to schools
- Review accreditation documents and advice on the readiness of submission of the accreditation documents to GTEC through the Deputy Rector
- Lead the Institute’s preparations towards GTEC’s 5-year cyclical visits.
- Develop a framework and parameters for academic planning research
- Develop academic planning functions for Registry class
- Undertake any other responsibilities that may be assigned by the Director or Deputy Rector from time to time.
Quality Assurance Unit
Quality Assurance Division is in charge of overseeing both academic and administrative activities meant to ensure the continuous improvement of academic standards at the Institute
- Establishes a Monitoring and Evaluation (M & E) Unit.
- Collects and analyses data from schools, directorates and units for managerial decision making.
- Assists the development and implementation of M&E systems for the directorate, including designing frameworks and procedures for M & E in accordance with the GIMPA performance framework.
- Monitors the development and execution of policies, projects and programmes to ensure alignment with the vision and strategies of GIMPA.
- Assists in the management and coordination of the day to day operations of the M & E Unit of the directorate.
- Supervises the work of all Liaison Officers from schools, directorates and units
- Develops job descriptions for M&E Assistant Registrars
- Supports all school/units to develop their quality metrics
- Develops M & E mechanisms for all quality criteria.
- Undertakes quality assurance of all school programmes accreditation process periodically
- Conducts annual quality assurance of non-school units within GIMPA
- Monitors and evaluates quality in the following areas: